Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Tired

This is a problem I have with good books.  I went to bed around 11pm last night, planning to read for maybe half an hour.  I was about 150 pages into The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.  But I wasn't tired.  I kept reading and eventually got tired, but at that point I was less than 100 pages from the end and had to keep going.  I was uncomfortable, exhausted, but had to finish.  And I did.  And it was great.

It turned out a little more disturbing than I initially thought - quite a bit more than a financial scandal.  But I liked the ending (particularly because I know this is the first book in a trilogy).  I liked the solution to the mystery of the missing girl.  I liked the character development.

I just need to add that YET AGAIN there is romance between a woman in her twenties and a man in his forties or fifties.  I need to start keeping track of how often this happens.  Also, mental illness is a theme that runs throughout the book, another repeat of recent books.  The mental illness bit I'm okay with, but I'm sick to death of:

"But I'm old enough to be your father!"
"I don't care!"

Otherwise, this book was great.  Should you read it? If you like mysteries and can handle things turning a little dark, yes, definitely.

1 comment: