Sunday, December 5, 2010

Never Let Me Go

I finished Never Let Me Go and it was fantastic.  Sad, but great.  It's best to go into it not knowing at all what it's about, beyond some kids in a boarding school, but even though I knew a sort-of mini-spoiler, it was still worthwhile.  Ishiguro's observations, little details, everything: they were spot-on.  It was one of those books where I wanted to underline certain passages.  Should you read it? If you don't mind things that are a little sad and also a little sci-fi, then absolutely, yes.

I also finished the Bill Bryson book.  It ended on a very down note about global warming, unfortunately.  I suppose ultimately it's good to bring the topic up; ending on it still made me sad, though.

Now I'm reading Great House by Nicole Krauss.  I read A History of Love, her previous book, and adored it.  I absolutely recommend it.  So far Great House is good, but seems to be comprised of separate short stories.  I know from reviews that they end up intertwined eventually, though, and I don't mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment