Friday, April 13, 2012

Norwegian Wood

I read another Haruki Murakami book last week. Norwegian Wood is the first book of his that I've read that has a linear, explicable plot.  It takes place in Japan, in 1969 and 1970. A college student falls in love with the ex-girlfriend of his dead best friend, and feels understandably conflicted about it.  She has some issues of her own.  He also befriends an outspoken, funny girl and a confident, woman-chasing man.  The cultural revolution is going on in the background.

It's great.  And I have to admit to being so relieved that there was a tidy narrative structure, with answers and everything--particularly because I just finished Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. Infinite Jest took me about six months, on and off, and it was definitely not tidy or explicable.

No comments:

Post a Comment