Wednesday, March 6, 2013

My Clothing Endeavor

It's March 6th, 2013. I decided today not to buy any new clothes for a year. What prompted this? I think it was the combination of having just moved--packing and unpacking my whole wardrobe--and listening to Macklemore's Thrift Shop on the radio, and watching Michael Palin's Sahara documentary.

I love clothes, I love shopping, but sometimes the rampant consumerism of our culture makes me uncomfortable. In the third episode of Sahara, Michael Palin spent time with a group of nomads in Niger. I was busy packing around the time I was watching this. Let me be clear: I don't want to walk around the desert. I like tea shops and watching Breaking Bad on Netflix and hanging out with my dogs in my temperature-controlled house. But it's amazing how little stuff those people need! I CERTAINLY do not need as many clothes as I have.  See below:

My drawer full of tank tops
My drawer full of jeans

My closet: sweaters and sweatshirts on top, then, from left to right, shirts, skirts, dresses, and pants
In addition to all this stuff, I have, of course, socks, tights, leggings, bras, underwear, pajamas, and workout clothes. I have jewelry and accessories.  I have 26 pairs of shoes. (Including these new ones!)
My new shoes! (Seen before I bought them, when I texted a picture to my mom to get a second opinion)

So. Here are my rules/caveats: 
  • No NEW clothes. 
  • That means clothes from thrift shops are A-OK. If the idea is to reduce consumption, buying from thrift shops makes sense. I also hope it will make me more creative and skilled in modifying clothes/
  • Likewise, sewing my own clothes is okay. So I can buy material and a pattern.
  • I am going to buy a new bathing suit. I had a fabulous retro-styled one, but I lost it. My current suit is a leopard print bikini top and men's orange swimming trunks. 
  • If I need basics like socks or underwear because they've worn out, I can replace them. REPLACE, though, not add more.
  • I can buy jewelry/accessories. This is like a release, to make it easier, particularly because I'm going to be traveling around Europe in May/June and I know I'll want to buy myself things to remember little boutiques.  This won't be a big deal, as I already have rules for myself regarding jewelry. I only buy jewelry if:
    • It is made by an artist and is rare and special and high-quality OR
    • It is really, really cheap
That's it! We'll see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment