Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Drowning Tree

So I'm re-reading The Drowning Tree by Carol Goodman because I haven't gotten to Borders yet to buy a new book.  Also, I was reminded of it by my friend Manasa in a talk about books, when she asked if The Swan Thieves was anything like Carol Goodman's novels.  The answer is a resounding yes.

I like Carol Goodman's books (and The Drowning Tree features two greyhounds, bonus), but they're a little predictable.  You know when you buy one that you're signing on for a story that takes place both in present day and in the past, with elements of art history or literature history woven into the plot.  They're entertaining, but they don't break any new literary ground.  The Swan Thieves is masterfully written, yes.  I'd just expected Elizabeth Kostova, author of The Historian, for God's sake, to write something more.

But I can't complain.  The Drowning Tree is interesting, and I can't really remember the end, and there are greyhounds, so that's satisfaction...

2 comments:

  1. I just finished reading The Night Villa by Carol Goodman...a little disappointing. Seduction of Water & Lake of Dead Languages are still my favorite followed by Ghost Orchid! I never read Drowning Tree because i think you told me once that it was VERY sad!!!...and now..THE HISTORIAN :) I am sooo excited!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're going to read The Historian? Yay! I can't wait to hear what you think of it!

    I wouldn't say The Drowning Tree is VERY sad (Helen thinks it is, but I disagree). I think it's a little bit sad - and I think it's a lot better than The Night Villa.

    Have you read The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon? It's a mystery that takes place in the 1920s in Spain, very spooky, no sad ending.

    ReplyDelete