Friday, September 16, 2011

Twin Peaks

My boyfriend and I watched all of Twin Peaks this summer.  It was great.  A lot of people say it declines in the second season, but we still loved it.  Even the ridiculous plotlines like Noreen's super strength or Ben Horne thinking he was in the Civil War were entertaining.  Any given episode could make me laugh and yet leave me afraid to go to sleep when it was over.  Really, I enjoyed just about everything except James's little film noir subplot.  And Bob is about the scariest villain I've ever seen.

If you don't know about Twin Peaks, here's a quick summary: Laura Palmer, a seemingly-sunny teenage girl, was murdered.  Agent Dale Cooper, played (fantastically) by Kyle McLachlan, comes to the small Northwest town of Twin Peaks to investigate.  Twin Peaks is full of weirdos, some neutral or good, like the log lady (a woman who carries a log with her everywhere, and tells people the messages it gives her), and some a whole lot more sinister.

So I loved the series.  Then we watched the movie, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me.  It was a prequel, made after the series ended but taking place in the days before Laura's murder.  I was not so impressed.  I thought it would wrap up loose threads.  It did no such thing.  AND a different actress played Donna, one of the main characters.  I wanted to say "Laura, what are you doing, that isn't Donna!" as if a malevolent trick was being played on her.  I'm glad I watched it, because I wanted to be completist about this, but I don't want to re-watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment