Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Apple Crisp

I made a vegan apple crisp tonight, out of the apples we picked at an orchard a couple weeks ago.  They've been taking up precious real estate on our kitchen counter, and their number needed to be whittled down.


I used this recipe from The Post Punk Kitchen.  

Apple Crisp

by IsaChandra
Serves 8
This apple crisp is just perfect. Sweet and crunchy and spiced just right, I like it served warm with Vanilla Bean Soy Cream.
Ingredients
For the filling
4 lbs apples (I use Roma)
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup apple juice or water
1 tablespoon arrowroot powder (cornstarch will work too)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoon cloves
1/2 cup raisin (optional)
For the topping
1 cup quick cooking oats (not instant)
1 cup flour
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup canola oil
3 tablespoon soy milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 F
Peel, core and thinly slice apples. Dissolve the arrowroot in the apple juice or water. Set aside.
Place apples and raisins in the baking dish, add sugars and spices and combine everything well (you may need to use your hands to do this). Pour arrowroot mixture over everything.
To prepare the topping, in a medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Add oil, soymilk, and vanilla, mix well. Crumble topping over the apples. Bake for 45 minutes.
Remove from oven and let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.

It was very easy and very yummy.  I changed it up a bit - instead of all white flour, I used half whole wheat pastry flour.  I chopped the apples into little chunks instead of thin slices, because I started doing it that way without thinking and didn't want to change halfway through.  I also added a little bit of ground almonds and flax seed to the topping, since I had them sitting around.  And I have no idea what types of apples I used - at least five different kinds, I know that.
The Post Punk Kitchen is maintained by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero, who are the authors of my favorite cookbook ever, The Veganomicon.  The Veganomicon is incredible.  The writing is irreverent and engaging.  The recipes are creative, delicious, and easy to follow.  I often like to read it just for fun, while I'm eating breakfast or just sitting around.  In the past I've only wanted cookbooks where every recipe has a photo, but I completely got over that with The Veganomicon. Less photos means more tasty recipes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment