Saturday, October 15, 2011

Cinderella Ate My Daughter

How great of a book title is that? I love it.  Cinderella Ate My Daughter is by Peggy Orenstein, the author of Schoolgirls and Waiting For Daisy, both of which I love.

Cinderella Ate My Daughter is about, as the subtitle says, girlie-girl culture.  Orenstein discusses Disney Princesses, child beauty pageants, Miley Cyrus, and more.  She tries to sort out some nature-vs-nurture questions, and determine just how harmful or harmless some of these pink, glittery girl things are.  What the book ends up focusing on a lot is consumerism - how much advertisers push things on our kids, and then make the kids' desires for the products seem "natural."

It was fascinating.  It could've been more in-depth, but that isn't a criticism, really.  I think the book set out exactly what it meant to do, examining this part of our culture, and to look deeper would mean to actually read through some of the studies she's quoted.  Which I will probably do.

One problem: it was so hard to put down!  I stayed up way too late finishing it last night.

Now I'm re-reading The Man of My Dreams by Curtis Sittenfeld, another addictive author.

No comments:

Post a Comment