Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Man of My Dreams

I finished The Man of My Dreams by Curtis Sittenfeld last week.  (I've been moving in the interim, and have therefore done nothing but put things into and take things out of boxes.)  It was great, just great.  I love her writing.  The book is a series of episodes in a young woman's life, each of them focused on a different romantic relationship.  The characters are three-dimensional, the problems are realistic, not contrived, and the thoughts on male/female relationships are so well-observed and wise!  There were passages in it that were good enough that I'm going to have to copy them down somewhere. 

In the meantime, still working on The Master and Margarita.  It's a slog, because every now and then it flashes back to parts of Pontius Pilate's life, and I don't care for those bits.  The rest of it is intriguing enough, but I don't think it's MY sort of book - there are too many characters and I don't think the reader is encouraged to feel much empathy with any of them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment