Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Hooked Now

I love it when you reach that point in a book that previously hadn't quite grabbed you when you realize you  cannot put it down.  I hit that point with The Good German.  It's fast-paced, it's a mystery, it's a wrenching portrait of post-war Berlin (for example, one minor character is a Jewish woman who saved her own life by ratting out other Jews, and even her portrayal is three-dimensional enough that you ache for her).  I love it.

I can't really talk about the plot, because almost anything revealed would be a spoiler.  So let me just say it's great.  Occasionally Kanon's many characters are hard to keep track of (this was a bigger problem in Stardust) but about a quarter of the way in, I had everyone pretty set in my head.  So no big problems.  And for once the central romance is between people who are roughly the same age!

No comments:

Post a Comment