Friday, April 6, 2012

The Marriage Plot

I read The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides a couple weeks ago.  Loved it.  Couldn't put it down.  It's about three college graduates in the early 1980s: Madeleine, Leonard, and Mitchell.  It's a love triangle, but so much more.  Mitchell travels abroad, first to Europe and then India. Leonard struggles with bipolar disorder.  Madeleine gets consumed by her relationship with Leonard. It's very real, and the ending made me happy.  It ended on a positive note but didn't seem tacked on or false.

It was the first book I read on my kindle, instead of a paper copy.  I have to admit, reading on the kindle isn't as good.  But it does have advantages. I will be going to Europe for two and a half weeks this summer; the kindle will be packed full of books, and my suitcase won't be.

No comments:

Post a Comment