Sunday, March 27, 2011

American Voyeur

Just finished American Voyeur by Benoit Denizet-Lewis.  Denizet-Lewis describes himself as a combination sociologist and journalist.  The book is a compilation of stories he's had published elsewhere in the last ten years, and all of them are in-depth looks at a particular subculture or aspect of our culture.  One piece is about the young married gay men in Massachusetts, right after gay marriage was legalized.  Another is about dry fraternities.  A particularly heart-breaking piece is about two teen brothers who both killed themselves.

Some of them were not too interesting to me (one about young extreme athletes getting sponsorships) but most of them were super interesting.  He gets his subjects to really open up to him, really let him into their world, and it's fascinating.  I wish some of them went on longer, were even more in-depth, but I realize most of these were originally written for magazines and therefore would only be so long.

Denizet-Lewis, for the record, was the first person to write about Down Low culture, black "straight" men sleeping with other men.  

Should you read it?  I don't think I would've bothered to buy it, but I borrowed it from a friend and definitely enjoyed it.  So if you happen upon a copy, open it up!

Also, I still haven't gotten back to any more H.P. Lovecraft.  I'm too scared.

No comments:

Post a Comment