Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake

I began reading The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender a few days ago.  (I bought it at my local Borders on "store-closing" sale - heartbreaking! I love that Borders!)  It's about Rose Edelstein, a young girl who suddenly realizes that when she eats she can taste the emotions of the people who made the food.  I thought it might be a little too deliberately whimsical, but it's actually played very straight and realistic, if that makes sense.  Imagine being a kid and being able to taste the dissatisfaction your mother feels about her marriage.  Rough stuff. 

As a bonus to me, Rose's older brother and his best friend are really into physics.  I enjoy reading about their problems and projects, though I was certainly never as motivated as them to do extra work!

No comments:

Post a Comment