Friday, June 11, 2010

Book, sanding finished

I finished The Autograph Man.  It picked up towards the end, but I still didn't love it.  It was alright.  Should you read it? If you've already read something of Zadie Smith's and liked it, yes.  If you like books about semi-miserable twenty-somethings, yes.  Otherwise, eh.

Sanding is a lot easier than I thought it would be.  It turns out you don't need to do a thorough, meticulous job on every square inch of the dresser, only a quick, brusque once-over with each level of grit.  (I started with 100-grit paper, then 220, then 320, then 600.) The wood feels great now, super smooth.  We put a layer of linseed oil on after that, which was gratifying.  It makes the wood look fantastic.  I need to let it dry, then apply another few coats.

Unfortunately, I was informed today that my landlord is having my deck power washed tomorrow at 8am.  That means dragging the unfinished dresser and all the drawers, along with all the supplies, back inside.  Fun times.

No comments:

Post a Comment