Wednesday, June 9, 2010

More Wodehouse

I finished the last episode of "Jeeves and Wooster" last night.  Season Four overall wasn't my favorite (mostly because some of the recurring characters were played by different actors), but it was still quality, still hilarious.  It went out on the perfect note, too - I don't necessarily like a sitcom ending where everything changes (Monica and Chandler get their adopted kid, the cast of Seinfeld is in jail, etc.).  Far preferable is an ending that ties everything pretty much together but still leaves it open-ended enough that I can imagine my favorite characters continuing to have adventures.  "Jeeves and Wooster" did this exactly.

I picked up another book of P.G. Wodehouse's Jeeves stories at the library today, despite not being finished with The Autograph Man.  The problem I'm having with both The Autograph Man and The Savage Detectives is that I'm not all that crazy about spending time with the characters.  I don't need characters to be great people or even good people - just people that I'm curious about.  And both of those books have characters that are rather borderline for me.  I'm saving Right Ho, Jeeves as a treat for myself once I finish one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment